Download Arduino Uno i2c Connection Datasheet (PDF)

arduino uno i2c pins datasheet - I2C is an interesting protocol. It's usually used to communicate between components on motherboards in cameras and in any embedded electronic system.

When using an Arduino for any project, one of the main areas of concern is the limited inputs and outputs (I/O).

For the Arduino used in this application note, there are 13 digital I/O and 6 analog I/O. When connecting one LCD using normal communication methods, the LCD requires 6 digital pins, leaving only 7 for other desired functions.

Using I2C, it is possible to use multiple LCDs, digital-to-analog converters, and a multitude of sensors with only two total digital pins.
ardiuno uno i2c pins

ardiuno uno i2c pinout

Basics of I2C Communication

I2C is a multi-master, multi-slave, serial bus invented by Philips Semiconductor. The benefits of I2C are that it only requires two lines per bus; one clock and one data for all the connected devices.

The downside of I2C compared toother communication methods isthatithas a slower communication speed. In terms of LCDs, this slower communication speed will have no effect.

Figure 1 illustrates the layout of I2C with a master microcontroller that can send signals to the three slave nodes.
ardiuno uno i2c schematic

The Arduino has its own internal pull-up resistors, so Rpin Figure 1 is not needed when using an Arduino. SDA is serial data line, while SCL is the serial clock line.

The most common form of LCD used for Arduinos is a 1602 LCD, which is a 16 character by 2 line display. There are a variety of text and background colors that can be selected.

In order to make the LCD I2C compatible, an I2C hardware module is simply soldered to the 16 pins on the LCD.

The module selected is very important as there are a vast number of I2C modules for 1602 LCDs.
It is important to get modules with different addresses.If the LCDs have the same address, there is no way for the Arduino to distinguish the two of them.

The pads A0, A1, and A2 act as a binary counter. For example, shorting the pads of A0 gives it a value of ‘1’, while leaving it open gives it a ‘0’.

Using this logic, there are 23, or 8, possible addresses. Ultimately this means that only 8 LCDs can be displayed if only this model is utilized.

After the I2C modules are soldered to the LCDs, the pins from the modules can be connected to those on the Arduino. There are corresponding GND, VCC, SDA, and SCL pins on the Arduino.

How to Connect an I2C Lcd Display to an Arduino Uno Tutorial




You can download Arduino Uno i2c Connection Datasheet (PDF) here.

Comments